History of the Portuguese Golden Visa
Established in 2012, Portugal’s Golden Residence Permit Program (ARI) enables non-EU/EEA citizens to obtain a special residence permit in exchange for a 5-year investment in Portugal.
What’s unique about the permit is that the investor only has to spend about seven days per year in Portugal to maintain the residency, while still reaping all the benefits of being an EU resident—including visa-free travel in the entire Schengen area.
- Right to Live and Work in Portugal.
- Rights to Visa FREE Travel in the Schengen Area.
- European Passport Offers Visa FREE Travel in 185+ Countries.
- Very Low Physical Minimum Stay Requirement.
- Portugal is the 3rd Safest Country.
- 5th Strongest Passport in the World.
- Portugal’s national health system is free.
- Emergency care is free.
- It had ranked the 12th best health (out of 190).
Eligibility – Who may apply?
The long-awaited Portugal Golden Visa changes came into effect on the 1st of January 2022.
- Transfer of capital (bank deposit, acquisition of public debt instruments of the Portuguese State, acquisition of securities or other participations) will have a minimum amount of €1,500,000.00
- The transfer of capital invested in research activities carried out by institutions integrated in the national scientific and technological system, will have a minimum investment amount of €500,000.00
- The acquisition of participation units in investment funds or venture capital funds aimed at capitalizing companies goes from a minimum investment of €500,000.00
- The transfer of capital for the constitution of a national commercial company, with the creation of 5 permanent jobs, or for the reinforcement of the share capital of an already constituted national commercial company, with the creation or maintenance of 5 jobs, increases the minimum investment amount required to €500,000.00.