History of the Portuguese Golden Visa
Established in 2012, Portugal’s Golden Residence Permit Program (ARI) enables non-EU/EEA citizens to obtain a special residence permit in exchange for a 5-year investment in Portugal.
What’s unique about the permit is that the investor only has to spend about seven days per year in Portugal to maintain the residency, while still reaping all the benefits of being an EU resident—including visa-free travel in the entire Schengen area.
- Right to Live and Work in Portugal.
- Rights to Visa FREE Travel in the Schengen Area.
- European Passport Offers Visa FREE Travel in 185+ Countries.
- Very Low Physical Minimum Stay Requirement.
- Portugal is the 3rd Safest Country.
- 5th Strongest Passport in the World.
- Portugal’s national health system is free.
- Emergency care is free.
- It had ranked the 12th best health (out of 190).
Eligibility – Who may apply?
All third-country citizens who conduct an investment activity, as an individual businessperson or through a company set up in Portugal or in another EU Member State and who, in addition, are stably settled in Portugal, provided these citizens fulfill the quantitative requirements and the time requirements set out by the relevant legislation, may apply for a Residence Permit for Investment, by one of the following routes:
- Acquisition of real estate with a value of at least €500,000.
- Transfer capital of at least €350,000, destined to acquire units in investment or venture capital funds aimed at providing capital to companies that meet certain requirements.
- Transfer capital of at least €350,000, to incorporate or increase the share capital of a company with a registered office in Portugal, together with the creation of five permanent jobs, for a period of three years.